Hello and thank you for reading this,
I am an access user, but I am not at all adept in writing expressions and I have an issue I can't figure out and I have been searching the internet for days. I am very close...but not quite :)
Here's the scenario:
I have strings of names in a calculated field named [CurrentDelReverse] that are separated by spaces, but some strings have 2 names and some strings have 7 names.
They look like this:
tjcrane becca002
shiel001 donohue ekaler
jpohl jhalling jsleifer laerwin chan ekaler
I need to separate the names, but I only need the first two names in the field.
I am able to capture the first name with no problem using:
Delegatee: Left([CurrentDelReverse],InStr([CurrentDelReverse]," "))
My problem is trying to grab the second name in the list.
I have tried so many different things and the closest I got to solving it was:
Delegator: Trim(Mid([CurrentDelReverse],InStr(1,[CurrentDelReverse]," ")+1,IIf(InStr(InStr(1,[CurrentDelReverse]," ")+1,[CurrentDelReverse]," ")=0,0,InStr(InStr(1,[CurrentDelReverse]," ")+1,[CurrentDelReverse]," ")-InStr(1,[CurrentDelReverse]," "))))
This returned the second name in the list but ONLY if it had more than two names in the string.
I found and copied this code and put my field name in it hoping it would work, so I know somewhere in there something is telling it not to grab the name if there is only two, but I have no idea what that code even means so I have no idea how to change it. :banghead:
Any help will be GREATLY appreciated.
I am an access user, but I am not at all adept in writing expressions and I have an issue I can't figure out and I have been searching the internet for days. I am very close...but not quite :)
Here's the scenario:
I have strings of names in a calculated field named [CurrentDelReverse] that are separated by spaces, but some strings have 2 names and some strings have 7 names.
They look like this:
tjcrane becca002
shiel001 donohue ekaler
jpohl jhalling jsleifer laerwin chan ekaler
I need to separate the names, but I only need the first two names in the field.
I am able to capture the first name with no problem using:
Delegatee: Left([CurrentDelReverse],InStr([CurrentDelReverse]," "))
My problem is trying to grab the second name in the list.
I have tried so many different things and the closest I got to solving it was:
Delegator: Trim(Mid([CurrentDelReverse],InStr(1,[CurrentDelReverse]," ")+1,IIf(InStr(InStr(1,[CurrentDelReverse]," ")+1,[CurrentDelReverse]," ")=0,0,InStr(InStr(1,[CurrentDelReverse]," ")+1,[CurrentDelReverse]," ")-InStr(1,[CurrentDelReverse]," "))))
This returned the second name in the list but ONLY if it had more than two names in the string.
I found and copied this code and put my field name in it hoping it would work, so I know somewhere in there something is telling it not to grab the name if there is only two, but I have no idea what that code even means so I have no idea how to change it. :banghead:
Any help will be GREATLY appreciated.
Separating a mixed length string
0 commentaires:
Enregistrer un commentaire